You cannot just ignore oral hygiene, because your oral health will affect the quality of your life. Without proper oral care, you can end up with painful dental problems, lost teeth, and the inability to eat properly. Even cosmetic issues can prevent you from smiling confidently.
Here are some tips you can follow to maintain oral hygiene:
- See a dentist at least once every 6 months. Your dentist can monitor your oral health and you can also benefit greatly from regular dental cleanings.
- If you have a dental issue, make an appointment right away. It can be any issue, such as a toothache, problems with chewing, or any sort of general discomfort. If your smile is looking bad, that’s a problem too. An immediate appointment can keep a problem from getting worse.
- Don’t forget to brush your teeth at least 2 times a day. You need to know how to brush your teeth properly, and you shouldn’t overlook your tongue and the roof of your mouth.
- Floss regularly too. This should be done at least once a day. Flossing gets rid of food bits that brushing your teeth can’t remove.
- Use a mouthwash too. While this isn’t absolutely necessary, using a mouthwash does help. The mouthwash helps kill the bacteria in your mouth so your oral bacteria level is maintained. It can also help make your breath smell fresher.
- Minimize your intake of alcohol, soda, and coffee. These drinks can cause teeth discoloration. They can also deplete your teeth of the calcium they need.
- Consume lots of calcium. Instead of sodas, drink milk instead. The milk gives you the calcium you need, so your teeth enamel becomes stronger. You can include other dairy products too. You may also want to think about taking calcium supplements as well as supplements for vitamins B and D that your teeth need.
- Use a mouth guard when you need it. Better yet, come to us so you can get a customs fit. A mouth guard is necessary when you play a lot of contact sports, as the roughhousing can lead to getting your teeth knocked out. You may need one too if you’re prone to grinding your teeth.
Cherry Creek Dental Spa specializes in giving the best quality of dental care to each and every patient. Call our office today to schedule an appointment.